What Documents Do I Need to Bring to My Naturalization / Citizenship Interview?

Naturalization/Citizenship Interview Document Checklist

The Naturalization Interview is the next to the last step before completing the process of obtaining Citizenship. Obtaining US Citizenship is a joyous occasion. However, before you get there, you have to make sure that each step goes smoothly.

There is a lot of preparation required for this process, starting with a properly filed Naturalization Application, as well as preparation for the interview itself.  However, one important part of the interview is to make sure you bring all of the required documentation.

Below is a list of documents that are necessary for everyone to bring, as well as documents only required for some. Please visit the N-400 Instructions for the most recent documentary requirements.

Always Remember

1) Be on time, and

2) Dress professionally for the interview. You will be judged!


Documents You Must Bring to the Naturalization Interview

  1. The original appointment letter
  2. Your Green Card (a.k.a. Permanent Resident or Alien Registration)
  3. A government-issued photo identification
  4. Your current and previous passports (valid and expired) and documents you used in connection with any entries into the United States (such as Travel Documents: Reentry permits, Advance Parole, and/or Refugee Travel documents)
  5. Marriage/Divorce and related documents, including that of your spouse.
  • Although not required (unless residing outside of the US), it is recommended that you bring two additional passport-style photos (2”x2”). The photos must be in color with a face, frontal view, and on a white to off-white background. Head height measures 1” to 1 3/8” from the top of the hair to the bottom of the chin, and eye height is between 1 1/8” to 1 3/8” from the bottom of the photo. For additional specifications, please visit this page.

If your current name is different than the name on your Permanent Resident Card, please bring the document that legally changed your name (e.g., marriage license, divorce decree, court document).

If copies of any of these documents were submitted as evidence with your N-400 application, the originals or certified copies of those documents should be brought to the interview.

An English language translation must accompany any documents in a foreign language. The translator must certify that they are competent to translate and that the translation is accurate.

If Naturalizing as the Spouse of a United States Citizen

  1. Your current marriage certificate registered by a civil authority
  2. Proof of death or divorce for each prior marriage of yourself and or spouse (divorce decree, death certificate, etc., registered by a civil authority)
  3. Your spouse’s birth or naturalization certificate or certificate of citizenship
  4. Proof that your spouse has been a U.S. Citizen for at least the past three years (using a birth certificate, naturalization certificate, certificate of citizenship, your spouse’s valid U.S. passport or Form FS-240, Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America
  5. An original Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Form 1722 listing tax information for the past three years (call IRS toll-free at 1-800-892-1040) or copies of the income tax forms you filed for the past three years
  6. Proof of marital union as well as proof of residence
  7. Certified copies of birth certificates of all of your children born in the United States (if you have children together).

If you have taken a trip outside the United States that lasted for six months or more since becoming a Permanent Resident

1.Evidence showing that you did not abandon your residence or terminate your employment in the United States nor abandon your US abode, such as:

  1. Proof of home ownership or rent,
  2. Continued US Bank accounts,
  3. Frequent visits to the US,
  4. Family members remaining in the US,
  5. Business/Employment connections to the US,
  6. Driver’s License,
  7. Pension Accounts,
  8. Voting Records, and
  9. Other applicable evidence.

2. Evidence for reasons for staying abroad:

  1. Affidavits/statements indicating reasons for staying abroad,
  2. Physical evidence, such as medical and legal records,
  3. Correspondence, demonstrating attempts to resolve issue requiring prolonged stay abroad,
  4. School records demonstrating limited study abroad,
  5. Employment letter (especially if the company is a US company), and
  6. Other applicable evidence.3. An original IRS 1722 letter (call IRS toll-free at 1-800-829-1040) listing tax information for the past 5 years (or for the past three years) if you are applying on the basis of marriage to a US Citizen.
    1. PLEASE NOTE: You may need to request a tax transcript (IRS 4506) instead.
    2. If you file your taxes separately from your spouse, bring the tax returns for both of you.

If any law enforcement officer has ever arrested you for any reason and no charges were filed
Note: unless a traffic incident was alcohol or drug-related or serious personal injury to another person occurred, you do not need to submit a document for traffic fines that did not involve an actual arrest if the only penalty was a fine of less than $500 and/or points on your driver’s license.

  • An official, certified statement from the arresting agency or applicable court indicating that no charges were filed.

If you have ever been arrested or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason and charges were filed

  • An official, certified statement from the arresting agency or applicable court indicating that no charges were filed.

If you have been convicted or placed in an alternative sentencing program or rehabilitative program

  1. The sentencing record for each incident
  2. Evidence that you completed your sentences, such as probation record, parole record, or evidence that you completed the alternative program or rehabilitative program. Copies must be certified copies from the issuing agency.

If you have ever had any arrest or conviction vacated, set aside, sealed, expunged, or otherwise removed from your records

  • An original or certified copy of the court order vacating, setting aside, sealing, expunging, or otherwise removing the arrest or conviction.

If you have any Federal, State, or local taxes that are overdue

  1. A signed agreement for the IRS, State or local tax office showing that you have filed a tax return and have arranged to pay the taxes you owe; and
  2. Documentation from the IRS, State, or local tax office showing the current status of your repayment program.

Evidence of good moral character

  1. Taxes for the last 5/3 years,
  2. Employer letters confirming stable employment,
  3. Evidence of community involvement,
  4. Membership in any civic or religious organizations,
  5. Volunteer work or charitable contributions,
  6. Letters of support from individuals who can confirm good moral character,
  7. Photographs with family members,
  8. Evidence of involvement in family members’ lives, etc.
  9. Other comparable evidence.

If applying for Naturalization as a member of the United States Armed Forces

  1. Your discharge certificate or form DD-214, AND
  2. If you have ever been in the US Military or are applying based on military service (see sections 328 and 329 of the INA) and have not previously submitted the form listed below with your Form N-400, bring an original Form 426, Request for Certification of Military or Naval Service.

If you have taken a dependent spouse or children and have been ordered to provide financial support

  1. Copies of the court or government order to provide financial support and
  2. Evidence that you have complied with the court or government order (canceled checks, money order receipts, a court or agency printout of child support payments, or evidence of wage garnishments).

If you are applying for a disability exception to the testing requirement and have not submitted Form N-648

  • An original form N-649, Medical Certification for Disability Exceptions, completed by a licensed medical doctor, licensed clinical psychologist, or licensed doctor of osteopathy.

If registered with the Selective Service, bring proof of such

  1. Proof may be obtained through the Selective Service website,
  2. If you did not register with the Selective Service and you are:


2. Over 26 years old,

3. Were born on or after January 1, 1960, and

4. Were a Permanent Resident between the ages of 18 and 26 when you failed to register, explain your failure to register in a letter and bring:

      • A “Status information letter” from the Selective Service System (Call the Selective Service at 1-847-688-6888 for more information or go online to the Selective Service website.

If you are requesting expeditious naturalization under Section 319(b) of the INA through military service

The US Citizen’s travel orders that include the name of the alien spouse and establish that the overseas assignment will end no less than 12 months beyond the date of the naturalization interview.

What Do They Ask You in Naturalization Interview?

During your naturalization interview, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) officer will ask you a series of questions to determine your eligibility for citizenship. These questions cover a range of topics and are designed to assess your knowledge of U.S. history, government, and English language proficiency.

Some general categories of questions that you may be asked during your naturalization interview include:

  • Personal Information: This includes questions about your name, date and place of birth, marital status, children, and current address.
  • Eligibility Requirements: You may be asked about your residency in the U.S., your continuous residence and physical presence in the U.S., any time you have spent outside the country, and your moral character.
  • English Language Ability: The USCIS officer will ask you to speak and understand English during the interview. You may be asked to read a sentence or write a dictation of a sentence in English.
  • U.S. Government and History: Questions about the history, structure, and processes of the U.S. government will be asked to determine your knowledge of these topics.
  • Oath of Allegiance: During your interview, you will also be asked to take the Oath of Allegiance to become a U.S. citizen officially.

It is important to note that you must answer all questions truthfully and accurately during your naturalization interview. Lying or providing false information may result in your application being denied or even lead to criminal charges. Additionally, you must be able to show that you have good moral character and meet all other eligibility requirements to become a U.S. citizen.

If you have any concerns about your naturalization interview or need additional guidance, you should consult with an immigration attorney for personalized advice. With the right preparation and knowledge of what to expect during your interview, you can increase your chances of a successful outcome and achieve your goal of becoming a U.S. citizen.

Contact Us

We are here to provide the support you need