Navigating Marriage Filing for Military Personnel and Their Foreign Spouses

28 Nov, 2023

In the realm of military personnel who fall in love and marry individuals from foreign countries, the process of filing for marriage cases can be complex. This blog post will delve into the various options and challenges faced by military members and their foreign spouses when it comes to filing for marriage cases, whether they are stationed within the United States or overseas.

Direct Filing with USCIS or Embassy

When it comes to filing marriage cases, military members and their foreign spouses have two primary options. They can either file directly with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) even if they are stationed or living overseas, or they can opt to file directly with the embassy of the country where they are located.

Advantages of Filing with the Embassy

Filing directly with the embassy offers several benefits, including a faster process. The paperwork can be submitted directly to the embassy, leading to shorter processing times compared to filing within the United States. This expedited process can be especially advantageous for military personnel who may be subject to frequent relocations.

Filing Challenges for Military Members

One of the challenges faced by military members and their foreign spouses is the requirement for the military member to be stationed in the country where the embassy is located. This can pose difficulties when military personnel are transferred to different locations, potentially separating them from their foreign spouses.

Seeking Exceptions and Assistance

In some cases, exceptions to the stationing requirement may be necessary to facilitate the filing process. This can involve reaching out to the embassy and, in certain situations, involving higher authorities such as senators’ offices to escalate the request for an exception. However, it’s important to note that such requests may encounter delays due to the volume of inquiries received by these offices.

Addressing Unique Situations

In addition to the challenges related to stationing requirements, there are unique situations that arise when military personnel and their foreign spouses navigate the marriage filing process.

Overseas Stationing and Marriage Interview

When a military member is stationed overseas and their foreign spouse is in the United States on a student visa, there may be concerns about the necessity for both spouses to be present for the in-person interview typically required as part of the marriage green card case process. However, there is a discretionary exception that allows the U.S. citizen to attend the interview individually, provided they can provide evidence of the military member’s active duty status.

Accommodations for Military Couples

Whether the couple is located in the U.S. or overseas, USCIS is known to make accommodations for military couples facing hardships due to separation caused by military deployments and relocations. These accommodations are designed to facilitate the progression of marriage cases and alleviate the challenges faced by military personnel and their foreign spouses.

In conclusion, the process of filing marriage cases for military personnel and their foreign spouses presents unique obstacles, particularly when it comes to stationing requirements and the impact of military relocations. However, by leveraging the option to file directly with embassies and being aware of discretionary exceptions, military couples can navigate these challenges and work towards reuniting with their loved ones in the United States.

Contact Us

We are here to provide the support you need